Brownlow House was built in 1836 to the design by Scottish architect William Henry Playfair. The house was built in the Elizabethan style and stood in an estate of some 259 acres, including a 59 acre man made lake. It is reputed to have 365 rooms and was built for Charles Brownlow.
The house and estate has been described as “the demesne, though very beautiful, corresponds with the antiquate of the castle. It is highly ornamented with a fine sheet of water which is covered with swans, Cape Geese, wild duck and a beautiful variety of wildfowl. Around the lake is a pleasant and neat gravel walk decorated with elegant plantations. The park is well stocked with deer and numerous hares sport through every part of the demesne.”